Monday 9 February 2009

DAY 1

Ok the big Muscle in a Month challenge has begun. I saw the workout and I asked myself what the hell did I get myself into.

56 sets and 90 mins later my thoughts of Dax certainly changed would not let you know what I was saying ( not for very long though). Yes it was hard and yes it would have been much easier to give up on this first day. But as Dax would say you get paid for done. So I got paid today and finished my first day of the challenge. 27 to go......

I am sure you are wonndering what I did so here it goes. Straight from the school of thought from Dax Moy:

Chest: 10 sets Bench press x 10 reps (this is normally between 70-80% 1 RM for most people)Back: 10 Sets Bent Rows x 10 reps

Perform these as a superset.I normally advocate a 4:0:2:0 tempo with these exercises but if you're not used to a great deal of time under tension work then simply perform them 'slow and controlled' as a large TUT alongside the extreme volume of your training over the next few days may prove too much.(Before you comment, yes, this IS like German Volume Training!)

Low Back Holistic SetThis is the toughie!

Your holistic set involves moving from a 4-6 rep exercise to a 8-12 rep exercise to a 40 rep exercise with no rest.

Once you complete the 40 reps you simply start over again with as little rest as possible.

It's tough but you'll be surprised how much you can still lift in the 4-6 even after the 40's.

Your workout looks like...

Deadlift 4-6 reps

Reverse Hypers 8-12

Prone cobras 40

Repeat x 4

Hamstrings and Core Supersets:

SS1

4 sets 4-6 reps stiff legged Deadlift

4 sets 4-6 reps 'Windmills' (Side bend with DB/KB at arms length above head whilst other hand reaches for floor or foot)

SS2

4 sets 8-12 reps Harrup Curls

4 sets 8-12 reps Hanging leg raise or knee raise (decline reverse curls if abs too weak)SS34 sets 40 reps Swiss ball leg curl (you can use machine leg curl if you wish but the SB is better)

4 sets 40 long lever crunches (yeah, I know you don't 'do' crunches... but you do now... 40 of 'em!)

If you've done the math, you'll see that there's a total of 56 sets in today's workout.I know, I know it's nuts... blah, blah, blah. You guys are all fitness professionals and should be able to cope with it.

My deconditioned actors and actresses can.The workout may take you about 1hr and 15m but can be done in an hour if you just keep moving.

If you burn out before the end then you can go 'old school' and split the workout into 2 parts and do morning/evening.

There IS method in this madness guys.

Still wanna play? : )

That was only DAY1...wonder what day 2 is going to be....

Stay tuned to see how I am getting on and whats next in this challenge.

Stay strong, stay focused....

Until next time

Gavin

No comments:

Post a Comment